Thursday, September 15, 2011
Jalebi Garma Garam!!
Garam garam Jalebi! was chosen for Srivalli's Indian Cooking Challenge.
Who can ever resist a plate of hot Jalebis especially when you have such an easy and versatile recipe with you.
Ingredients in the recipe was what you could find in your pantry any day, so I didn't bother to even check the availability. But when I decided to get going, I realised I was short of a crucial ingredient. But this recipe is so forgiving, even with the variations I had some gorgeous jalebis at hand or rather in my mouth.
Makes : 24
All purpose flour/Maida - 1C+3 tbsp
Cornflour - 3 tbsp
Food Colour - 1/2tsp (Optional)
Yogurt/Curd - 1C
Oil - 1tbsp heated
Lemon Juice - 1 tsp
For Sugar Syrup
Sugar - 1C
Water - 1/2C
Oil for deep frying
1. Mix all the ingredients for Jalebi into a thick batter.
2. Leave overnight to ferment.
3. Once fermented fill into a clean thick plastic packet or squeezable ketchup
bottle. If packet, cut a small hole for batter to flow out
3. Prepare Sugar Syrup by boiling the sugar and water till sugar is melted. Keep Warm
4. Heat oil till about medium heat. Pour out the batter into interconnecting
5. Turn over. Allow each side to cook for about a minute.
6. When done, take out of oil and let rest for about a minute.
7. Dunk into the warm sugar syrup, soak for about 30 seconds.
8. Take out to serve hot Jalebis.
Preparation Time : 12 hours for fermenting
Cooking Time : 3 min per batch
Notes & Deviations
1. I ran out of cornflour so substitutes the same with custard powder and arrowroot
2. I used a lot of food colouring to get the store bought Jangiri colour
3. With the quantities I have given, the batter stays thick and you need thick
batter to get the right shape of Jalebi
4. Resting the Jalebis before soaking them helps them retain their shape without
5. I used the Gits Jalebi bottle for making the jalebis. It was easy to handle and
very non messy too.
A lovely and easy recipe to make. But be sure to serve it fresh and hot for great compliments!!
Edited to add : Priya wanted to have a look at the Jalebi bottle , so here it is